Friday 20 March 2015

Learning from Books

Dearest Emily,

I'm glad you liked the Bookshop. Thank-you for exclaiming 'Did you do this for me, GiGi- you did didn't you!'



You are learning from books right now and that's lovely to see. So is your Grandmother. There's much to learn about the 'Dark Art of Bookselling', which I see as a lifelong learning.

This week, I learned much about the kindness of dealers.

When we opened, I made much about being collaborative with each other as booksellers on the Island. All too often I've seen in the past when dealing with vintage clothing or objects- how people create divisions, guarding their patch so to speak. Frequently this lead to negative and paranoid competition, that didn't do anyone any good.

A few weeks ago the 'Ghost Man' (being the lovely chap here who takes groups of people on walks around the Island and scares them out of their wits) was telling me about how in Majorca on holiday, he found himself almost unknowingly being guided around the Island from attraction to attraction- just by the locals recommending each other.

I'm happy to report this beginning here too Em, my old Boss in Yarmouth has come out all supportive under gossip-fire about 'competition', and lovely Shanklin bookseller recommended a regular customer to us. Then, lovely Niton bookseller returned a favour when we sent someone to him.

It's Nice to be Nice, as the doormats say in the shop.


Now, on the subject of learning from books- here's a selection to amuse ourselves with.


One of the loveliest titles I've seen in the shop, (pictures on the right are of Blackgang Chine in the early '60's.)



Tales of a recent customer heheh.


A cautionary tale- to be read and digested.


Work-a-day book.


It was amusing to read about parts of my own life in my own 'association copy' of this!

Every picture tells a story eh, em?

Looking forwards to seeing you at Easter weekend. We have our very own street car-boot sale to look forward to on Easter Monday- heaven on earth!

Your ever=loving Grandmother,

GiGi xxx


No comments:

Post a Comment