Sunday 12 July 2015

The Anniversary

Dearest Emily,

I'm feeling in celebratory mood today-on account of this morning's trip to the tip. The reason for my jollity is two-fold. At long last my weekend loads of rubbish gathered from the back garden (or should I say former building-site) that have tooed and froed in my trusty Moggie, are done with! To celebrate, the chaps at the tip presented me with a lemon sherbet and a broom-stick...

Plus- I have finished my twelve paintings for Open Studios next week- here's the last one.


I've called it The Anniversary, because I painted it in the week of Grumpa and GiGi's eighth wedding anniversary. Two chairs- one for Grumpa and one for me. The hat represents laying it at our new old home, and the book is obviously a part of life hereabouts- as are shawls and summer shoes.

Grumpa hasn't left anything on the chair, because he's off on the Lifeboat of course, and doesn't like leaving anything anywhere. Eight years ago- on the day Andy Murray won the tennis- we had our Wedding blessing at Dimbola, and Wedding Breakfast at the Farringford, spending our honeymoon night in Alfred's room.

Nine years ago this month- I first stumbled over the doorstep and Dimbola, quite unaware of what an impact its one-time resident Julia Margaret Cameron was to have on my life. From in the beginning being delighted to see her links to Bloomsbury (my previous obsesh) to becoming a Trustee at the house, discovering that JMC was the muse for Lewis Carroll's White Queen. To choosing not to go to Paris to work back in the fashion business, and instead moving here to fabulous Freshwater.

What a journey it's been so far! Full of co-incidences and happenstances. Not surprising that Carroll was inspired hereabouts!

Now- we're all about campaigning for Mrs C to be on our currency. Makes sense to me.

A bit of fun for you Em- if JMC were alive today- and in her inimitable obsessive letter writing style- penned a plea to Mark Carney at the Bank of England for her cause to be the nominated £20 noter- it might just go something like this...

My Dear Mr Carney,
I write to ask you to kindly portray my image on the new £20 note.
Since your most gracious request to the public to nominate last month, coupled with my recent 200th birthday, it seems that my mission to ennoble the Art of Photography is finally becoming a common knowledge.
You of course, being of Canadian birth, will be aware of my legacy to Art and Portraiture, as the Getty Museum of America had the foresight to acquire most of my best works.
The Metropolitan Museum in New York also had the grace to support solo show last year, and the latest exhibition of my photographs tours the globe, ending at my dearest V&A this November.
We have not met, of course, owing to the fact that I departed this world a century or so before you were born- however, you will have noticed my portrait of Charles Darwin on the current £10 note. It was a triumph! In 1868, Charles was holidaying next door- he described my likeness of him as his favourite and I must say paid me handsomely for the honour!
In short, Mr Carney, my work changed the course of Photography for ever. I was as you call it today- a Game  Changer!
I, pioneered the 'Close-Up'. I tirelessly worked with the dangerous chemicals and sought technical advice from an old friend of the Mint and myself- Sir John Herschel ( I made a very fine portrait of him ) I sought Artistic Counsel from the very best, my friend G.F.Watts (I made a very fine portrait or two of him also) Dear Mr Henry Cole of the then South Kensington Museum (now known as the V&A) lent me two rooms as a studio, when, back in the 1860's it was not a simple path to follow what is now termed as a 'Career'. I needed to pay attention to my position in the Family and consider myself an 'Amateur'. My dear invalided husband was supposed to be the 'bread-Winner'.
My friends here in the living world have brought you some very kind support for your focus-group.. They have consulted with Academic Experts and provided a Bibilography pertaining to me..They are delivering written nominations collected from my beloved Isle of Wight (to be noted these are from dwellers and tourists) You will also find Dear Mr Carney, that I fulfil all of your criteria. I was born in India- which assists in your diversity area. I have never been considered divisive...
In fact, Mr Carney, it must be remarked that though in my own conceit- in all roundness- I am Perfect Perfection for the Cause!
My regards to your Wife- The Old Lady of Threadneedle St (though I suspect it might be better these days to drop the 'Old' tag)

Yours, Ever,

Julia Margaret Cameron

P.S
Again, in my conceit, I should like to add that if you were fortunate enough to meet me living today, I should like to make a portrait of you.
I think you would find that the likeness would electrify and startle you!


Not long now until your next visit here Em- can't wait to see you and Annabel again!

Your ever-loving Grandmother,

GiGi xxx


No comments:

Post a Comment